Monday, November 5, 2012

What Happens in Haiti

So there I was last Saturday afternoon,  just minding my own business and attempting to spend my post-Haiti cancellation vacation time wisely by painting the family room and finishing things up in our Logan house when I got a sudden phone call.  The trip to Haiti was back on and our flight left in 4 hours.   I left a half painted room at home and a half hung curtain rod in Logan, went home and threw what I hoped was everything into a backpack and was on a red eye flight headed toward Port-au-Prince before I had time to think about it.

Turns out our Haitian friends had worked their tails off to get the place cleaned up so we could hold the clinic.  They did amazing work, and even though we only had three and a half days of clinic, running on about 2/3 of the normal staff, we still saw over 1300 people.  Now I'm home, and still trying to process through my head everything that happened.  Lots of emotions close to the surface and I feel like I need to sit down and have a good cry over the whole thing.  Way too much to try to explain in a blog entry or two, and  I don't have the right words anyway, to explain to anybody what it is like there.

Haiti is all just MORE than I thought it would be- more fun, more work, more physically demanding, more emotionally, mentally and spiritually draining, more beautiful, more impressive, more impoverished, and more heartbreaking than I ever imagined. 

Pictures are coming.


No comments: