Saturday, October 6, 2012

Just Another Day in Paradise



Hey, lucky me, I got to drive to Cache Valley again today!!  I was so excited about that!  I was just thinking to myself  that I really haven't spent enough time in the car lately, and then, BINGO! I remembered I had got to drive to Paradise today.

It was for a good cause though- I went up there to pack newborn kits and midwife kits for our Haiti trip.  The amount of work involved in an undertaking like this is unbelievable.  I had no idea how much went into this thing by the time you organize, fund raise, collect,  pack, and ship all these things.   They make a kit of supplies they need for the mom during delivery,  with gowns, gloves, pads and gauze and things like that, a kit for the baby with some receiving blankets, a hat, and a suction thing, and these cool backpacks to give the midwives, filled with things like headlamps, stopwatches, tape measures, blood pressure kits, etc.  Of course, in Haiti, anybody who raises their hand when somebody asks for a midwife is considered a midwife. No training or experience required.  But at least now,  25 of them will have a few supplies for the next few births they attend.  Next week we are going to do hygiene kits.   We will take as many of those as we can cram into our suitcases.  Amy, the person who is in charge of all donated supplies has worked her tail off for the last four months.  Makes me feel a little guilty that I didn't do more.   It also makes our trip seem more real and close- three weeks from today, I'll be spending my second night in a tent in Haiti. Sometimes I wonder what the heck I was thinking when I signed on for this this thing.

After we finished up in Paradise, I drove in to Logan to see Alisa for a minute on her break at work. I miss that kid!! She has to work every weekend, Friday through Sunday with usually a double on Saturday.  Not much fun in that kind of a weekend.  She will graduate in May though, and hopefully her hard work will pay off soon. 

The other kids got the opposite of Paradise today- they got to go to the dentist-woot woot!  I am very happy to report there were NO cavities.  A big improvement over last year, when Duncan had 11 cavities, and over 6 months ago when he had 3.  Oh, and Olivia lost another tooth tonight too- her other top front one. So now she is singing "all I want for Halloween is my two front teeth, my two front teeth, see my two front teeth". She will probably have them by Halloween too- you can already see her new teeth poking through her gums.

And finally, thanks to a load of help from Grandpa, Mitch is on cloud nine with his purchase of a  1998 Jeep Cherokee tonight.  Getting a new car always helps to take away a bit of the sting from an accident, doesn't it?  He is thrilled with it, and we are hoping it will be a good car for him for a good long time.  It's old, but it seems like it has been well maintained, so here is hoping!

No comments: