Thursday, October 25, 2012

Devastation

It's a sad morning. 

I just got the news that our trip to Haiti has been canceled.  We were supposed to leave tonight.

I can't believe it.  I'm in shock.  I'm devastated.

The weather there has been terrible this past week with hurricane-force winds and heavy rain.  The little clinic has been destroyed by mudslides and flooding.  The roads up to the village are impassable.  We can't get there, and even if we could, it wouldn't be safe to go.  There is a team there now that is supposed to leave tomorrow, and they are still trying to figure out how to get them out.

I'm horribly disappointed. I'm sad for my team members who worked SO HARD to make this happen.  But mostly I'm just mad.  Mad at the forces of nature that just never seem to give Haiti a break.  Mad for all those people living there, who knew the medical team was coming and have been waiting six months to see a doctor, and now they have to keep on waiting.

Our team is waiting too, to hear if we can possibly reschedule, or if we can be the team that goes in March.  Not that any of that matters right now.  As it always seems to go in Haiti, they are dealing with the crisis at hand.

On the bright side, Olivia is thrilled that I will be here for Halloween.  And so am I.

No comments: