Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Dear Santa



Dear Santa,

I would say I’ve been a pretty good mom this year, all things considered. I know I could clean up my language a bit. I know you don’t think mothers should ever swear, even when nobody else can hear them, and I swear I’m working on it. But most days, all six of my kids are up and dressed and fed, and reasonably productive, at least as far as I can tell. So overall, when you look at the scope of my job, I think I’ve done okay. Therefore, I’m requesting a few things from you this year, Santa, and I would really appreciate your help.

First off, remember last Christmas Eve, when you and I had to stay up til 3 AM because you fell so far behind in your schedule? That was a little scary, because I wasn’t sure you were going to get everything done in time. And I am NOT a good wrapper at 3 in the morning. So try to be a little more prompt this year, okay? I don’t mind helping out, but last year was ridiculous. I think we need to set a goal to have everything ready to go by midnight. Let me know if that will work for you.
Also, about last year, you totally forgot Duncan’s main gift. We had to explain to him on Christmas morning that it was just a mistake, and that you had been so sure his present had been packed early in the season, and that by the time you got here and realized it was nowhere to be found, it was too late to do anything about it. Can you try a little harder to keep track of what is packed in your sleigh? I realize you have a million things on your mind this time of year, but Duncan is at the very top your nice list. How could you have forgotten his present? Thankfully, he took it quite well last year. If it had been Olivia you had forgotten, it would have been disastrous. Maybe you need to be a little more organized. A to-do list can work wonders. Just a suggestion.
I hate to tell you this next part, but you need to know that Olivia is starting to have some sneaking suspicions about you. I wouldn’t go so far as to call it doubt-she is still quite a staunch defender of your name among her more skeptical friends. But she has begun to ask questions, and to make justifications for some of the more outlandish parts of your story. I can tell that her reasoning abilities are quickly kicking in, and I cannot guarantee what she will think of you next year. So we really need to make this year count. Could you please talk with your Santa’s helpers that will be in our area this year? We need to find a really smart, convincing one for her to visit with, to keep her faith in you strong. Of course we are doing our best to keep her belief alive, but it seems like all kids go through that crazy phase for a few years where they just don’t get where you are coming from, and they don’t see how you could possibly be real.
Nobody at our house is asking for anything too outrageous this year, so our lists shouldn’t be too hard to take care of. Except for Audrey, who has asked to be surprised. Good luck with that one. I’ll let you know if I come up with any good suggestions for you. Oh and also, Mitch and Alisa are getting a little tricky to figure out too. Those nutty kids are at that age where they are starting to think more about what they can give than what they can get. That’s kind of cool though, isnt’ it? I think that means they are almost old enough to start believing in you again.
I think that’s about it for this year. Looking forward to seeing you on the 24th. Remember do NOT come in until you get the signal. If you want to jingle your sleigh bells near Olivia’s window while you are waiting, that would be great. Not too loud though, remember she is easily spooked.
Love,
Lynne
P.S. Will has asked for a knit vest for two years in a row now. I haven’t been able to find one anywhere, so if you have an extra one, would you mind throwing that in your bag too? Thanks!

No comments: