Thursday, November 22, 2012

Pie Thoughts



Oh hey,  it must be  two in the morning on Thanksgiving Day.   I just dug a strange concoction of sugar and flour out of my ear- no doubt a side effect of all this pie baking I am up doing.  It's my own fault that I am up so late. I dithered on the pies.   I had a moral dilemma about making them vs. buying them, so in true me fashion, I saved that momentous decision for the last possible minute.   I didn't exactly feel guilty about buying them all, but there was a strange side of me that really wanted to slave away in the kitchen over a hot stove, just to make it feel more like Thanksgiving.  Buying them all kind of felt like cheating myself. My grandma used to tell stories about getting up at 5 am on Thanksgiving morning to pluck the turkey and chop the wood for the stove. And now all the preparation for Thanksgiving that I do is go to Sam's, which just doesn't feel as Thanksgiving-ey.  But then  I dithered so long that Sam's Club ran out of apple pie, and so my mind got made up for me, and now here I sit, passing away the wee hours of Thanksgiving morning digging at my ears and waiting on this durned berry pie to finish baking so we can get that apple moving along. This could be a long night.

My mother is going to faint when she sees how many pies I am bringing.  Suffice it to say that everyone can rest easy that there will be no pie shortages at the Featherstone Family Thanksgiving table this year.  We have a couple of pumpkin,  an apple, a berry, a pecan and a chocolate.  Because I have a couple of kids who love pumpkin, a kid who loves pecan, and one who won't touch anything but chocolate. And even though pumpkin is the big star of the Turkey Day show,  you just can't have a real Thanksgiving without apple pie.  And the berry pie, well that one is for me, IF the dumb thing ever gets done.  Plus, Erwann has promised to try pumpkin pie, even though he doesn't like it. He tried it when he was in Australia, and Alisa thinks that Australians aren't capable of creating an authentic pumpkin pie.  She is probably right.  Not that we have anything against Australians.  I'm sure that vegemite stuff they eat over there is really good.  But pumpkin pie is just something that you should only eat in America.  However, if Erwann doesn't like the American version of pumpkin pie any better than the down under variety, then we should have a nice healthy selection of other pies to offer him, don't you think?  So, that's why so many pies.

Our Thanksgiving table this year will be as varied as the pies, and I'm so excited about that!  Not only do we have Alisa back, we have Erwann with us this year, and also our fourth son, Steve, Mitchell's old friend from waaaay back. He practically grew up in our house, so having him around is just like the good old days. Audrey and Olivia spent the day making table decorations, and Grandpa is cooking TWO turkeys!  Should be a great day, with all of the most important people in attendance. What more could we ask for?  (Do NOT say banana cream pie.You will have apple and LIKE IT.)


No comments: