Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Summer's Last Hurrah

When the going gets flooded, the flooded go hiking. At least that's what we did the day after the waters receded. Dan had to work in Logan, and I was not about to sit around in the soggy smelly house all day on the last weekend of summer.

So I dragged/bribed/cajoled the kids 3.8 miles up to White Pine Lake, where we could see pretty water, in the place nature intended for it to be. We took lots of great pictures. Then I lost the camera. And as luck would have it, I was nearly at the bottom of the trail before I realized the camera was missing. Devoted (and poor) photographer that I am, I sent the kids on their way to the parking lot, and hiked about a mile back up the trail, looking in vain for the lost camera. Then I decided I just didn't care that much, gave up, and hiked back down the mountain. I stuck a note up on a sign post with chewing gum that had my phone number and camera description on it, but was not holding out much hope of ever seeing my camera or the pictures again.

Fast forward to Monday. I was at work and posted an ad on another TV station's website, (which is a direct competitor to my food supply so I will not post their name, but it starts with K and ends with L and there is an S in the middle) in the lost and found, hoping somebody might have found my camera and by some miracle see my ad. About 10 minutes later, Dan called. Some guy called our number to tell him that just a few spots down from my ad was a found ad that described my camera, and it was found at White Pine Lake!! It was a couple in Providence. So I drove out there on my way home from work, and got my camera back. And am now able to proudly display the pictures of our end of summer hike....





Look at that sky!!! We could not have picked better weather.


So on the way up, we saw a guy with a kid about Olivia's age. The dad had a leash attached to his back pack , and the kid was holding on to the leash. We had Maggie's leash with us, so I hooked it on to my back belt loop and we tried it out on Olivia. It worked quite well for about 30 minutes. Then she got tired of holding it.


A panorama. I didn't even know my camera could do this!






Maggie found many different varieties of poop to roll in. Good thing she likes the water.






The last picture, and most likely spot of camera stupidity. Must have set it down on the rock when I was helping Livvi down. It is a mystery that will never be explained, but at least it had a happy ending.

No comments: