Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Calm Before

Life has been pretty calm around here lately. I know that in putting those words in print, I am tempting fate. I am sure that at this very moment, the dark clouds of the universe are gathering above our heads, and some sort of cosmic twister will descend onto our path tomorrow, wreaking havoc and destruction and irony on my opening statement. I really should just delete this whole thing right now and start over complaining about how awful everything is. Doesn't it seem that the people who complain the most and the loudest really have the least thing to worry about? Then you meet those people who have a terminal brain disease, who just lost their house and buried their child, and they are the happiest people on earth. Life makes no sense.

Anyhow. School is in full swing. We have yet to voice any complaints or stage any revolts against our new schools. Olivia thinks kindergarten takes too long. I agree. But then, I think most things take too long. Will wants out of Spanish. Duncan is mum as usual. And Audrey loves her teacher and can't wait for the school carnival. Alisa is dealing with an 18 credit hour load of nonsense this semester. She actually seems to be enjoying most of the nonsense this time around. Ask her about her aliens class when you see her. Yes, she has an actual class about aliens that fulfills her physical science requirement! That's right, our tax dollars, hard at work. And Mitch hitched a ride with his grandparents on their annual Missouri trek this year. He has been gone for a couple of weeks now, and is enjoying the change of scenery. He flies home on the 21st and starts a new job on the 22nd.

I am still hauling myself through the canyon to Logan two times a week for work. I can't seem to bring myself to give it up. It is the best job I ever had, and I don't expect to find anything else that I am going to like as much. Sardine Canyon in January may change my outlook, but for now I am staying put. And if things go as planned, I am going to be teaching some pharm tech classes in Logan in January. It seems crazy to add one more thing to our lives right now, but everything just kind of fell into place, so I decided to take a leap and see where it takes me.

Oh, and Dan is still around too, thank heavens. I don't know what to say about him. He got a new phone, which translates to a new toy for him, and it has been keeping him pretty entertained. Whoever thought that PHONES would become so interesting. I guess once caller ID came along, and took the fun out of crank calling, we had to invent something else to do with them.

Hopefully, barring any aforementioned fateful encounters with disaster, we will soon be posting pictures of our NEW FINISHED BASEMENT BATHROOM! The guys started work on it today. We might have paint-ready walls by tomorrow. Yippee!!

No comments: